The Windows 8 Firewall Control from Sphinx Sofware, is a great all in one solution for anyone who wants to use the firewall that comes with windows.
Even though it's named Windows 8 Firewall, it is infact designed for Windows 8/7/Vista/2008/2012/XP/2003. There is a free version as well as a paid for verion that has more features.
Because its essentially controlling windows firewall it means it doesn't install any third part kernal drivers. Based on Windows Filtering Platform (WFP for short) you have the ability to block by port and applications. If an activity is blocked you get an instant notification so you can react to it. You can even block on a per aplpication basis. Initally this can be a chore to set up becuase all applications includein internet explorer will trigger it, but all in all it does give you a greater flexibility in configuration and management over the standard windows firewall tools.
List of features;
- Designed for Windows 8/7/Vista/2008/2012/XP/2003
- Free versions available
- Local and Remote applications protection from incoming and outgoing threats
- Remote and distributed network/cloud management
- Per-application security settings
- Flexible permissions settings
- Instant notifications of blocked activity
- Automatic Port Forwarding-to-applications management/synchronization
- Group zone and application network access management
- IPv6 support
- Decreased expenses of mobile/satellite connections
- Zone based network permissions management
- Integration with Window Explorer for direct access permission management
- Special editions for portable devices (USB flash/HDD drives, iPod etc)
- Simplicity of the operations